We’re keeping the classes online this year, but we’re adding new and wonderful outdoor field trip experiences and speakers!
Click here to apply: http://bttr.im/5cfc8
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Virginia Master Naturalist (VMN) with the Holston Rivers Chapter. The Virginia Master Naturalist program is a statewide corps of volunteers providing education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities. The Basic Training Class prepares you to become a Certified Virginia Master Naturalist volunteer.
Please note: VMN is a volunteer training and service-based program. If you do not intend to be an active volunteer and help to support our local natural resources through your volunteer service, then this class and organization may not be for you.
The basic training course covers the background knowledge and skills needed to prepare you for service as a VMN volunteer. We’ll cover a wide range of topics in areas relating to the natural sciences. Full certification, requires this course, 8 hours of approved continuing education, and 40 hours of approved volunteer service within a year following completion of your basic training course. You can complete your volunteer service in any of four key areas: citizen science, stewardship, education and outreach, and chapter administration.
Basic Training Course details:
- Classes begin January 25, 2022. Classes should be completed by April.
- We will follow the guidance of our state organization and CDC regarding Covid restrictions.
- Classes meet virtually (online) through the Zoom platform. Field trips are at various locations where service can later be performed. In-person outings will be on weekends.
- Attendance is mandatory for certification, but allowances can be made to make up a class. Please discuss this with the class coordinators.
- It is highly recommended that trainees have an email address and internet access since program communications and volunteer hour reporting are usually done in this manner.
- Students must be 18 to apply unless accompanied by their parents.
- Class size is limited.
- Course fee of $65 covers basic training and course materials. A limited number of need-based scholarships are available. To request a scholarship, email the class coordinators: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications are collected electronically: http://bttr.im/5cfc8 This link takes you to our volunteer management system where you will register a new account.
- Class fees should be paid before receiving class books.
Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should notify the Chapter Advisor, Tanya Hall at 276-781-7413 or (TDD number 1-800-828-1120) by the application deadline.
All applicants will be notified by email of their selection status.
Questions? Send an email to Monica Hoel