Many VMN volunteers enjoy working on perfecting their photography skills. Others just like to share snapshots of nifty nature observation. Some like to use photos to document their volunteer work and its impacts.
Everyone can participate in our 2020 VMN Statewide Photo Share!
Each current VMN volunteer or chapter advisor may submit one photo that illustrates your connection with nature in this unique year. It can be a selfie of you doing a naturalist activity, a photo documenting an exciting wildlife encounter you’ve had, a photo of a special natural place that has brought you joy during the pandemic, or anything else that you feel fits the theme of how you’ve connected with nature this year.
Depending on the number of photos we receive, we will share all or a subset on our website and in a slideshow during an end-of-year online event on December 15. This is not a competition! As long as the photos are in the correct format, we will include them.
• The photo must be taken by you, the currently enrolled VMN volunteer or chapter advisor.
• The photo must be taken in Virginia.
• The photo needs to be in .jpg format.
• The photo file name should be YourLastNameYourFirstName_PhotoName.jpg. Fill in your name and the photo name in that format. (for example, MouseMinnie_JamesRiverAtSunset.jpg).
• Only one photo per volunteer is allowed.
• Please do not have any views of children’s faces or other information from which they could be personally identified.
• To make sure that your photo displays well, please make sure that it is at least 2200 pixels on its longest side at 72ppi resolution. We will still try to include your photo if it is smaller, but it might not look wonderful. Ideally, work from the original image from your camera or mobile device, not an image that has been sent through email or downloaded from Facebook. To check your photo’s size from a computer, right-click on the image file and select “Properties” on a PC or “Get Info” on Mac.
• Submit your photo using this survey form. It will prompt you to upload the photo.
• On the survey, we will also ask you to choose categories for the photo, just to help us put similar photos together. We also will ask you for your name, email address, VMN chapter name, a title for the photo, and a brief statement of how the photo illustrates your connection with nature this year.
• Submit your photo no later than November 30.
Help us create a fabulous slide show that captures how our volunteers have connected with nature!